Ecoprinting on Leather (1 day workshop)
with Theresa Brown
Class Description: Learn how to ecoprint on lambskin leather naturally as well as in color! In this exclusive one-day workshop, students will put ecoprinting skills to work on lambskin leather! Ecoprinting (also known as botanical printing) involves collecting leaves, plants and flowers to imprint the plant images directly upon leather.
Students will learn:
• Leather-everything you need to know to understand, locate, select and work with leathers that accept ecoprinting no matter where you live!
• Equipment-what you need and how to use it (most of which you already have!
• Plants-All about plants, leaves, weeds and flowers and using them on Leather
• Mordants- descriptions and ratios
• Dyes- easy to use selections for permanent results
• Tools- cross over tools many crafters already have for leather work.
• Sources for leather, dyes and mordants and tools (in US and online).
At the end of class students will leave with 2 samples (approx. 8” x 18”) of ecoprinted lambskin leather- naturally ecoprinted and in color and the ability to continue the process with the knowledge learned in the workshop.
Class Date and Time: This one-day workshop is hosted on Sunday, April 27th, 2024 from 9:00 am – 3:00 pm. Total teachable hours are 5 hours.
Lunch: Lunch is included in the class fee. If you have any dietary restrictions, please note them when you register.
Instructor Bio: M Theresa Brown is a professional artist whose long art career embraces many areas of the Arts. She uses natural dyes and low impact synthetic dyes and merges them into unique, beautiful designs on silk, wool, paper and leather. She turns her transformed work into artisanal clothing, accessories, and art. Her articles and designs in the fiber arts have appeared in international publications such as "No Serial Number" and "Belle Armoire". She has a line of instructional PDF’s on ecoprinting techniques and is the first instructor to teach ecoprinting on leather in the US. She has been an instructor at many fiber art shows including Maryland Sheep and Wool Festival, Southeastern Animal Fiber Fest, Carolina Fiber Fest, Kentucky Sheep and Fiber Festival, Michigan Fiber Fest, Wisconsin Sheep and Wool Festival, Southeast Fiber Arts Association, John C Campbell Folk School and many upcoming new venues.
Apr 28th, 2024
Waterford Old School
40222 Fairfax St,
Waterford, VA 20197 Get directions